You are what you eat. Such a common truth. We all know about it. Right?
FOR THE FUTURE
Do you really realize that your ability to focus at work, your energy levels, physical well-being and even attitude to life and people around you depend on the quality of the ”fuel” you fill your body with several times a day? In the long term, it is what you eat today that determines your health in 5 -10 years time. The sole purpose of eating is to provide your body and mind with all the nutrients it needs to maintain a healthy balance. Just like a car. If you fill the tank with wrong fuel it won’t go. If you eat crap you get sick.
Diabetes, hypertension, obesity, atherosclerosis, allergies, cancer are just some of the lifestyle diseases that are the bane of our times. Unfortunately, chronic stress and burnout can worsen or even induce those conditions. Many people don’t pay attention to what they eat because they are always in a hurry, or have too much work or other obligations that are more important. The body needs calories to function, so they eat fast processed food that indeed contains calories and simple carbohydrate but no or very little nutrients.
LOGI method (to be modified to fit an individual), of which I am an advocator, is not a diet, it is a way of nourishing the mind and body. Its main principle is to eat food with low glycemic load (not glycemic index) to avoid a rapid increase and then a rapid decline of the sugar level (glucose) in the blood.
It is similar to the glycemic index but more accurate because it takes into account the size (in grams) of the serving. Glycemic index is the value that represents an increase (in percentage) of the blood sugar after eating foods that contain 50 g carbohydrates. I explain the difference between those two terms on the example of watermelon – a very healthy and tasty fruit. Its Glycemic Index is as high as 76! But because the 100 grams of watermelon contains only 5 grams of carbohydrates the glycemic load is as low as 4! To achieve the effect of glycemic index 76 we would have to eat 1 kg of this healthy fruit at a time (certainly without its rind:)). And it would be a pity if we didn’t, because watermelon is a great source of many substances (lycopene, citrulline) that have a positive impact on blood pressure, thus preventing heart disease.
- Normalization of blood sugar levels which is especially important for people with Syndrome X (metabolic syndrome) also known as the Deadly Quartet.
- Positive measurable results: stabilize blood sugar levels, insulin secretion, normalization of blood lipid levels and lower blood pressure
- Reduction of compulsive eating and hypoglycemia which are one of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue
- Supplement of vitamins and minerals, due to a large number of fruits and vegetables. This can be observed in the improvement of the hair or skin
- Regulation of the digestive system and as a result the nervous system by restoring the good gut bacteria. For example: only in healthy intestines, the amino acid tryptophan (supplied with food) can produce serotonin (hormone of happiness).
- Slow, but steady weight loss with no yo-yo effect because LOGI is a way to eat and not a diet.
The main emphasis is put on vegetables, salads, fresh fruits, and foods containing protein, both from meat and vegetable: good quality meat, poultry, fish, dairy products (preferably from goat’s milk or sheep’s milk, especially by cow’s milk allergy or intolerance), nuts, and legumes. High-quality, not refined fats and oils, saturated and unsaturated play a very important role. However, wholegrain foods, so highly recommended by nutritionists are acceptable but in much smaller amounts. Not recommended are foods made from refined white flour, potatoes or pastry.
Reference: LOGI. Das Buch. Systemed Verlag. 2016